Herrick's Transformerless Tesla Coil

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Well, OK...not quite: there's always the one BIG transformer, isn't
there?  But this scheme requires no >other< transformer, and also it
has >>>noooo<<< transistors!

So once more I prevail on Terry: see
<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk17s1.pdf>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk17s1.pdf.
Given enough time away from the easy-chair, I'll begin building something
like this.  But I'll surely welcome comments in the meantime.

Basically, my design incorporates one equivalent turn of primary
"coil"--with only the primary capacitors and their interconnections making
up that "coil", for the lowest realizable impedance.  Groups of capacitors
are arrayed closely around the periphery of the secondary (in my case, on a
nominal 12" diameter or a little larger).  They are to be interconnected
with something like 3/4"-diameter copper tubing.  I would arrange the
tubing segments so that the capacitors' leads would just be tack-soldered
directly to them.

I configure 2 uF capacitors, as the drawing shows, in 6 groups of
15-paralleled, yielding 5 uF (-at- 5100 V withstanding) for the resonating
capacitance.  Perhaps "resonating" is not quite the right term: with only 1
"turn", the Q of the assembly will likely be relatively low.  I notice
that, in such a case in simulation, the secondary's "notch" is absent
(using 50 m-ohms and ~1 uH in the simulation circuit, that
is).  So...anyone have a comment on this?  Would one still need to quench
the gap?  If so, when--given no discernable notch on the secondary's waveform?

I specify the CDE 942C8W2K capacitor. The 942 series has a high
current-capability, per CDE's catalog data--1148 A peak per capacitor in
the case of the -C8W2K.

I asked myself:  "With a rotary gap, why not utilize that mechanism to
additionally distribute charge to the primary capacitors?"  That's what I
propose to do, as the drawing shows.

The capacitor sections are to be sequentially charged via added rotating
brushes, bearing against stator contacts, and incorporated into the same
rotating assembly as the gap elements.  The gap is fired by a rotating
element that closely interposes between the two stationary elements, twice
per revolution of the driving shaft and phased with respect to the
commutator so that that event occurs between a pair of
commutation-positions.  Thus the discharge events always occur while the
primary circuit is galvanically isolated from the mains--but the primary
becomes connected to earth ground during that time through the grounding of
the rotating element.  By virtue of the two pairs of input slip-ring
segments on the stator assembly, the input circuit for charging is
reversed, every 180 degrees of rotation.  The result is that the net dc
current throught the gap is made to be zero over time, minimizing
material-transfer across the gap.

Simulation shows that a  450 V charge (a practical level: with no
resistance, about 600) on each 30 uF of capacitance is realized in about
700 us.  Thus, allowing for suitable inter-contact spacing, the commutator
may not rotate more rapidly than 1 turn in ~20 ms, for a 100/s maximum
spark rate (of 2 sparks per turn).

This seems to me to be a rather viable design.  For a conventional
RSG-style Tesla coil, one has to build a primary coil, a capacitor assembly
and a rotary-gap assembly anyway--so those tasks are pretty much a "wash"
between the two concepts.  Here, one adds the rectifier/resonant-charging
circuitry and the commutating components, but subtracts the H.V.
mains-transformer, eliminates the need to protect such a transformer,
simplifies the "coil" and implements zero net dc current in the
gap.  Plus...there's no lurking mains-frequency high voltage to give you a
big surprise when least expected.  A reasonable trade-off, do you suppose?

Ken Herrick