Re: Crushing ferrite cores to make one big one?

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Actually, there are two problems with this.

1.  If you are looking for a core for a 60Hz transformer, you certaintly do
not want to use ferrite.  Ferrite is a high frequency magnetic material.
You want to look
for some transformer steel.

2.  Even if you did need a large ferrite type core, grinding them up will
change the characteristics considerably.  When you grind them up and
recombine them, you no
doubt are creating a mixture that may have a lot of different types of
inconsistencies as far as density and air gaps.  This creates a
non-uniformly distributed air gap
type core which will wreak havoc on any type of controlled properties you
wish to have.

And yes, that is a crazy idea!

Dan