Re: Using 240VAC on 140VAC Varic

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>
 >
 > Dan,
 >
 > It shouldn`t take too long to hook one of the units up with another variac,
 > and see if current starts to skyrocket somewhere between 120 and 240 volts.
 > Best way I know to test for voltage rating.
 >
 > Cheers, Finn HAmmer

	How about counting the turns, measuring the cross-sectional area of the
core, and calculating the voltage for a flux density of the order of
15000-20000 gauss?  That should get you close and seems like only a few
minutes of desk work.  Someone more familiar with the properties of
variac cores might give a better flux density value, or you could simply
do the same measurement for a known variac and then scale the unknown
appropriately.

Ed