Re: Safety Gap =

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Gary,
(you knew I'd reply, didn't you),

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Gary  Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>If you adjust the safety gap so it won't fire then it doesn't do anything so
>why have it.

1) If static gap:
    a) accidently adjusted too wide.
    b) electrodes wore down (not realizing mass is a good thing).
    c) accidently mis-wired something.
    d) I didn't care about C, it's too small, threw 10,000VA to it, burned
up within seconds.
    e) being human, mistakes happen, sometimes costly.

2) If rotary gap:
    a) forgot to turn motor on before powering up system.
    b) something odd occurs with the disc.
    c) rotary adjusted too wide.
    d) accidently mis-wired something.
    e) being human, mistakes happen, sometimes costly.

Pretty much, because "?" happens when we least expect it, and a choke isn't
going to save a cap or tranny from these "?".
I use one because I'm prone to error. Probably a good idea for new coilers
as well I expect. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that screws up now
and then.

But Gary, I understand your reasoning.

Take care,
Bart