RE: Secondary form coating.

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Shellac is a great coating for secondaries.  In particular orange
shellac which is available at Home Depot etc...
I have several cardboard secondaries coated with shellac.  Also, Ed
Wingate uses shellac on some of his coils.
He doesn't seem to have any problems.  Actually, i think its even better
than polyurethane as the polyurethane tends
to crack and flake with age.

Dan

Hi Scot and others,

I think I remember a post from last summer recommending a precoat on the
coil form of shelac.  The reason given, I believe,  was its tackiness in
helping keep the wire in place while winding.  Since I'm getting ready
to wind my large coil, is there any down side to using shelac.  The coil
form is acrylic and will be sanded first.  The final coats will be
polyurethane.

Gerry R