Re: High voltage standing waves with a magnetron?

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"What if there isn't enough current? I was planning on powering it with
very small high voltage DC supply. I saw on one website a guy built a
handheld herf where the entire appratus fitted inside the magnetron
casing
and was powered by 4 D batteries, it of course was pulsed by charging up
small array of caps at 7000 volts, but it was safe enough for him to
hold it
during operation and place his hand right above the transmitter."

	That doesn't sound right.  How could he power the heater from "4 D
batteries"???  As for operating at lower power by reducing the operating
current (series resistor is simplest as it doesn't require heating the
cathode from a separate filament transformer), that will
indeed                    work over a pretty wide power range.  I have
some little X-band pulse magnetrons here which were rated for about 1 kW
peak.  I can run them quite stably at powers of less than a watt.

Ed