Re: High voltage standing waves with a magnetron?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: High voltage standing waves with a magnetron?

 > Original poster: "mercurus2000" <mercurus2000-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > What if there isn't enough current? I was planning on powering it with a
 > very small high voltage DC supply. I saw on one website a guy built a
 > handheld herf where the entire appratus fitted inside the magnetron casing
 > and was powered by 4 D batteries, it of course was pulsed by charging up a
 > small array of caps at 7000 volts, but it was safe enough for him to hold
it
 > during operation and place his hand right above the transmitter.

Uh-huh... Sure, pulsed high power is reasonable, and would reduce the
average (but not peak) power of the magnetron.  What qualifications did the
guy have for RF safety evaluation? I'm not talking about letters after his
name, here, I'm talking real expertise in evaluting the hazards. I've know
lots of very smart people who are absolutely ignorant about RF.  Did he
display any calculations showing field strengths or power density?

Any idiot can go hook up a HV power supply to a magnetron. Any idiot can
build a tesla coil.  Any idot can cook his hand or the lenses of his
eyeballs, almost painlessly. Any idiot can believe the stuff about "skin
effect" and cook their insides and get RF burns because "gosh it doesn't
hurt".