Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hmmm... you're right! I suppose that's why it sounded too easy!  :^)

For a DC resonant charging system there appears to be no avoiding the
need
for an air gap in the inductor's magnetic circuit. However, if the core
of
a moderately sized DT could be cut to introduce an air gap, then this
approach might still have some merit. The approach would provide high
BIL
and current handling and a means to external adjust the charging
inductance
without resorting to a custom wound inductor. Now, the challenge becomes
how to cleanly cut the core of one of these beasts.

-- Bert --"

	I can't see you you can avoid saturation without a suitable air gap.
There is a net DC current (and hence magnetizing force) even though the
AC voltage across the coil is balanced with respect to ground (or in
this case, + HV).

Ed