Re: High voltage standing waves with a magnetron?

When propagating a field, the power is proportional to the field strength
squared.  In free space the ratio of the electric and magnetic fields is a
constant (377 ohms). If you raise the E field, you raise the B field by the
same amount (read voltage for E field and current for B field).

If you want high fields you need high powers (or small dimensions.. but
there IS a limit (waveguide cutoff)). You can make a waveguide that is the
right width (a few inches for 2.4 GHz) but very short to create high fields
with limited power (This is one way to study RF breakdown or multipaction).

Or, you can create high powers with a low power source by setting up a
resonant cavity, and pumping it with a low power source. The magnetron from
an oven isn't a particularly good low power source though.

The resonant ring is a situation like this.  It's a racetrack of waveguide
with some couplers and a phase adjuster. You launch the wave into the ring
and it circulates around.  You adjust the phase/length of the WG so that
it's exactly an even number of wavelengths around. If you put a pulse in, it
would circle around until it decayed due to the losses in the waveguide
walls.  (just like a tesla coil secondary).  If you continuously drive it,
the power circulating will increase until the losses in the WG walls equal
the power you're putting in.  You can get very high Q's with a circuit like
this, and correspondingly high fields.  The