Re: Am I courting disaster?

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Adam,

There are two main types of modern lightning arresters (or arrestors - I've
seen both spellings) in current use. The older style uses a spark gaps in
series with silicon carbide MOV elements. The spark gaps were necessary to
prevent excessive AC current from constantly flowing through the leaky MOV
element. Newer arresters (>1970) use low leakage MOV elements made from
zinc oxide disks - this style does not require the use of spark gaps.

I have some pictures of a "visible" 9 kV distribution class arrestor with a
clear Pyrex housing on my site. The spark gaps and silicon carbide MOV
elements are easily visible within:
http://205.243.100.155/photos/Arrestor1.jpg
http://205.243.100.155/photos/Arrestorgaps.jpg
http://205.243.100.155/photos/ArrestorMOV.jpg

BTW, some interesting information on arrestor history, theory, construction
can be seen in these PDF's from Ohio Brass:
http://www.hubbellpowersystems-dot-com/powertest/literature_library/pdfs4lib/OB/EU1044-H.pdf
http://www.hubbellpowersystems-dot-com/powertest/literature_library/pdfs4lib/OB/EU1377-H.pdf

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP