Re: DRSSTC Primary Circuit Feedback Control

Original poster: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:09:37 -0700, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Hi Jimmy, > > > > At 08:50 PM 12/6/2004, you wrote: > >Hi Terry, > > > >The little IGBTs should be practical anyway. Based on some > >measurements taken on my DRSSTC, I'm convinced that a half bridge of > >little TO-247 IGBTs could get me to 5'. > > > >You have to be a little careful with primary feedback, because if it > >isn't tuned, the secondary won't be sucking much out, and it will > >build up more than normal > > Yes!! The models show that for sure. If the primary and secondary are not > tuned, then the primary voltage just keeps rising pretty much till > something blows up!! A spark gap might "still" be a good idea ;-))

As long as you limit burst time, you should be fine ;-)

> The models (not real confident in the numbers..) say the IGBTs will do
> about 40 watts of heat as is.  But with "perfect" zero cross switching,
> that goes down to 1.2 watts!!

Huh? What frequency and switching times? My simulations showed about a
factor of 2 increase in loss when hard switching about 80% of peak
current. A factor of 30 is hard to believe.

> This is no different than any other
> switching resonant thing and they are all using "little" FETS and
> IGBTs...  We just have to refine ours...  I also seem to be able to keep
> the peak primary currents at just 80 amps which is trivial for the
> IGBTs.  Almost could use FETs again...

80 amps? Where's the power? I don't think you'll get very big sparks
with only 80 amps. If we're going by the 'semi-cw' theory, then you
need a lot of power to push the sparks out.  If you use a toroid with
no breakout point, then it might work...