Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve,
For treadmill motors, check the curb on trash day, or your local waste dump or recycling center. I'd bet I see a nearly new treadmill at my local scrap dump every two weeks or so. There will probably be a lot of them available in the weeks after Christmas, as folks upgrade to the latest toy.
Plenty to pick and choose from, though not all have DC motors. I've seen a number with fixed speed AC motors and a variable speed pulley arrangement for rate adjustment. They still are good for machine tools, and you can't beat the price.

Dave

I am getting tired of the loud gear growling from my angle grinder powered
ASRG, and have been thinking of going the treadmill motor route.  What are
your surplus sources for these motors?  Are the motor bearings good enough
(e.g. very little axial motion) to mount the rotor directly on the motor
shaft?
Thanks, --Steve Y.