Re: Polyethylene pipe in UK

Original poster: "David Speck" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Jim,

When they installed the yellow PE natural gas pipe at my office 21 years
ago, they used a thermal bonding system.  The unit looked something like a
smallish cutoff saw, but held the two pipe ends together near each other,
and used some sort of internal heat source that brought a metal plate to an
orange heat.  Both pipe ends were applied to the plate for a few seconds,
and after softening to an appropriate amount, the plate swung out and the
hot ends were pressed together with a clamping mechanism.  It made a nearly
invisible joint, and the workers said it was strong as the native pipe
itself.  The joiner was small enough to use in a trench, and could attach
any sort of joint, Tee, or elbow as well.

Dave