Re: Salt vs copper sulfate for caps

Original poster: pepperman-at-SoftHome-dot-net

Did you use a saturated solution of copper sulfate?  Or is that not
necessary?  If it is, I think I'd have to spend quite a bit more than
$6 Canadian.

 >From an MSDS sheet, the solubility of copper sulfate pentahydrate
at 30 C is 24.3 g/100 g of water.  This translates into 2.03 pounds
of copper sulfate per gallon of water.  At Lowe's, two pounds (sold
as a root killer for septic systems) costs US $7.66.  And it seems
like the Geek cap would take significantly more than 1 gallon of
solution.  (Or does it not?  I haven't made one yet.  How much
saltwater do they typically require?)

Recommendations on concentration or cheaper sources than
Lowe's et al?

Michael Johnson