Re: Fwd: X-ray Pictures of HV Caps

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <terry-at-hot-streamer-dot-com>
>

>>From: "Mark Rzeszotarski" <mark.rzeszotarski-at-cwru.edu>
>>
>>Greetings All:
>>    If you have an interest in having a look inside some high voltage
>> (HV) capacitors, take a look at the rather large 15 Mb file
>> cap_xray.pdf, placed in Terry's temp folder at http://www.hot-streamer/temp
>>I recently took a number of conventional and x-ray photos of some of my
>>collection of high voltage capacitors - for your viewing pleasure.
>>I receive the digest form of the tesla list and usually read it several
>>days behind the current postings, so if you want to correspond with me
>>privately, send it to msr7-at-po.cwru.edu instead of (or in addition to) the
>>list.  As always, comments and flames are  welcome.
>>Regards,

Mark,

Thanks for the very enlightening information and the X-ray pictures! I was
surprised at how small the actual capacitor was (compared to the case) for
the 0.0001 uF 15 kV Aerovox mica cap.

Just a quick note: Plastic Capacitors, Inc. (PCI) currently designates
their RF glass-encased ("Glassmike") polypropylene caps as the HG series.
This appears to be similar to the BGZ (BGX?) series RF cap mentioned, and
pictured, in your article. Although the Mylar version of this package style
justifiably has a bad reputation, I'm not familiar with any good
experiences that coilers may have had with PP glass-encased caps in a TC.
In theory they should work... :^)

Also, blue-colored glass-encased capacitors from PCI use a low loss
polypropylene dielectric system, while red-colored ones use Mylar. However,
this does not apply to glass-encased capacitors from other vendors.

Thanks again!

-- Bert --
-