Re: Tank cap and psu for 3 inch coil

Hi Eric,

If you run at resonance and the safety or main gap is not set correctly,
there is high possibility that the resonant voltage rise could distroy the
NST.  Assuming that your safety gap is set correctly (to prevent
overvoltage), the BPS for Cp = Cres will be around 190 as compared to 120
for Cp = 1.6 * Cres.  Your gap losses will be higher at 190 BPS.  I have
personally found better performance with static LTR value for Cp.  Power
processed is not much different (assuming 10KV gap firing) because as the
BPS drops with larger Cp, the bang size increases so the product is fairly
constant (this is not entirely true but its not too far off).

Gerry R.