Re: Flyback Driver PCBs

Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Thats plenty impressive.  The problem with Aron's flyback driver is that it
is limited to 15v input.  I had the same driver for a while but I was using
a TL494 so I could put up to 40v into it.

If you're saying you get 4" out of a single flyback at 25v you're either
lying or not measuring right.

At 25v on the primary I can pull a 3" arc before my small flyback (which has
a 1" diameter secondary) Starts to arc over internally.

This is similar to Steve's flyback driver except it uses a TL494 for better
control over the flyback with adjustable duty cycle.

Once again,  a switch is a switch.  If the flyback is in resonance you'll
get the same sparks on any half bridge in the world if you're driving it at
the same voltage

Did I mention I wasn't running my flybacks in resonance when I was pulling
these 3" arcs.  I just set the frequency around 30KHz and I'm sure if the
flyback was in resonance it would perform much better.

Once again,  this isn't a thread to elaborate on my spark lengths.  It is to
ask whether there is interest for a flyback driver PCB.

Regards - Jim Mitchell