Re: bad pole xmfrs

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong on that, but I do know
 > that a pig can be ran at 2 or even 3 times its nameplate kVA rating
 > running a Tesla coil for short runs (<5 minutes - not too many of
 > us are gonna run a coil for longer time intervals than that, anyway).
 >
 > David Rieben

Hi Dave,

Ed Wingate mentioned in a recent post that his magnifier ran for two plus
hours at his T-thon, and it seems that several of those runs were in the 5
minute range.  There was literally an assembly line of people in and out of
the "Cage of Death".  I don't remember any MMC's, (OOOPS!  I meant PCI pulse
caps.)  blowing either, and the only time she was down was to switch people
in the cage.

Speaking of MMC's:  I just e-mailed Sam Barros, and when the weather turns a
bit better, we are going to get together for a little high voltage fun here
on the farm.  I'm hoping he will be able to offer up some advice on my
capacitor issues, and get an unbiased opinion on my system.  Quite a bit
more experience in this field than myself.  If he runs the figures and says
everything should go, then we'll do a timed run her till she pops kind of
test.  Little bit expensive, but it should be a bunch of fun, and offer up
another capacitor viewpoint.  Hopefully we can post some pics, too.

BTW Dave, do you have a website?  Your projects always sound kind of cool,
and I'd love to check them out.  Are you the same guy who was making the
fulgarites at Dr. R's 2 years ago?  Pretty neat.

Thanks,

John Richardson