Re: mots

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello Allan,

Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:Original poster:
"Allan Scott"

Hello everyone im new to mots and i was wondering if 2
mots with the
primaries in
series at 120 volts would ballast each other.

GRH: No, but you can use one MOT with its secondary
shorted out to ballast another MOT at 120v. Use the
smaller of the two MOTs as the ballast. It will limit
the current of the larger MOT.

also i used a 120/15 volt step down transformer to
test out put voltages of
each mot and they where slightly different

GRH: Not important.

does it matter ? what is the best way to wire 2 mots
to run off of 120

GRH: You can wire the primaries in parallel and run
them both from 120v if you ballast them appropriately.

volts 15amps or do the 2 of them require 220
volts.

GRH: A more practical approach is to wire the
primaries in series for 240v, ground the cores of both
MOTs, and draw 4-4.5kvac from the two MOT terminals.

Thanks in advance from
Allan Scott up here in Canada

GRH: I have some MOT material on my web site. Scroll
down to the "power supplies" header and you'll find
various articles about MOTs.

Cheers,

=====
Gregory R. Hunter