Re: Toroid on CW TC

Original poster: "Chris Arnold" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

Vladi,

A toroid does serve several important functions in CW coils.  First, it
protects the top turns of the secondary coil from breakout, allowing you to
direct the output where you would like.  Second, of more concern to those
building solid state coils, is the toroid lowers the resonant frequency of
the secondary system.  As a general rule, the power sections of solid state
coils like as low a frequency as possible, since most losses occur during
switching.  Third, and much less common, they can be used to increase the
length of the discharge from the coil, just as in a conventional coil, but
not to the extent possible with a conventional design.  Too large a toroid
on CW coils tends to make them self destruct, primarily because they
*really* don't like what gets kicked back out of the secondary system if it
doesn't make its way into pretty sparks.

Chris Arnold