Re: Toroid Height

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/24/03 7:37:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi all,
>
>If one sets the toroid height too high above the secondary, the top turn of
>the secondary is not shielded properly and breakout can occur from the top
>turn.
>
>QUESTION:  What is the motivation for raising the toroid above the top
>turn.  Why doesn't one put the tororid at the position of the top turn???
>
>Gerry R
>Ft Collins, CO

Gerry,

My 6" coil has two toroids.  If I run at full power with only one, I get
lots of sparks going down toward the primary.  I am presently using a 30 to
33" toroid on top of the coil and a 40" toroid raised up above that.  The
majority of the sparks leave from the upper toroid thus giving me more
clearance to the primary.

Ed Sonderman