Re: NST isolation level

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/20/03 2:41:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi List,
>What is a typical isolation level of 15 kV nst?
>How much secondary voltage (repetitive low frequency) it can tolerate
>without putting it under a breakdown danger?
>
>Thanks,
>Rik

Rik,

15kV NST are designed to withstand about 800 volts ac
on the secondary long-term.  Shorter term they can withstand more
voltage of course.  NST's are fragile for the TC use (abuse) we give
them.  Still, they can give excellent results and can last a long time,
especially if certain precautions are taken.  The reason they're made
to withstand 800 volts ac long term, is because this is the approx
voltage they see in neon sign usage.   The manufacture builds them to
the needed quality and no more, to keep costs low and profits high.

John