Re: Over-voltage at Synchronous Gap ? ? ?

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/15/03 11:36:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Dan,
>
>your phasing is set too late in the cycle meaning that by the time the
>electrodes align, the safety has aleady taken care of things.  In my SRSG,
>the phasing at high power is CRUCIAL to performance, and if i set it too
>late, the safety set at some .6" starts to fire!  It all depends on how far
>you want to push things.  To me it seems that you can push things alot with
>a SRSG.  Im running a 15kv 90ma NST with a .045uf cap:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/1.5kVASGTC.htm
>
>Do you have a phase controller?  It might be a worthy investment, i love mine!
>
>Steve Ward

Steve,

I agree.  I have two coils with synchronous rotary gaps and I have John's
phase control on each.  If the safety gaps are set close, you will notice
that the best phase control setting that produces longest sparks also
produces fewest safety gap firings.  So, watching the safety gap while
adjusting the phase control is an aid to finding the best spot.

Ed Sonderman