Re: Best secondary size

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi All,
         I'd have to take issue with this formula:

On 13 Sep 2003, at 14:05, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >

 > The 240 mm (9.5 inch) dia. sec would offer more performance as output
 > potential is:
 >
 > Vout = Vin x k x sqr (Ls/Lp)

In the lossless case, k doesn't matter and may be any value. With a
normal lossy situation, the degree of loss must be balanced against
the degree of k to get the correct answer. Since the loss in a
normally operating sparking coil is a parametric value and changes by
the nS, I'd consider it impossible to quantify. Hence the normal
practice of quoting the lossless ideal Vo = Vi x SQRT(Ls/Lp).

Malcolm
<snip>