Re: Tesla coil sizes and idea

Fat, short coils with efficient design produce good output but tend to arc
to primary.

Long coils don't intercept the complete magnetic field from the primary and
loose power transfer.

4.5:1 height/dia. sec is good aspect ratio for most designs --- even pole
xmfr designs.

We did a coil once with 3,000 turns --- it didn't outperform our standard
1,400 turn coil.  Too much resistance.

We tend to standardize everything to 1,400 turns and 4.5:1 for small and
medium size coils, and use 1,200 turns with 4.5:1 for large, high power
coils.

These values usually produce a coil with a spark length of 1.25 x the sec.
winding length.  Values greater than this will breakdown with time unless
protected by a 4 x sec. dia. toroid.  With our design parameters we use 2:1
toroid/sec. dia. ratio for most all of our coils.  Good performance with out
headaches of flashover, etc.  Stability is important in coils running day
in/day out such as museum applications, etc.

Dr. Resonance