From: "Gavin Dingley" <gdingley-at-ukf-dot-net>
To: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: Disabling the freewheling diode

 > Hi Claude,
 > I have been trying to get this confusion sorted out too. I think the
answer
 > is simple, it's not that the series disabling diode is under rated, it's
 > just that the MOSFET is over rated. The avarge current through the primary
 > is divided between the two MOSFETs in a half-bridge, and by four MOSFETs
in
 > a full-bridge circuit.

Actually the current passes through either MOSFET, halving the avarge
current for each transistor in a half-bridge, while in a full-bridge the
current passes through either of two opposite MOSFETs, in both cases the
avarage current passing through the transistors is half of the current
passing through the primary coil.

 >Now if only 2A passes through the primary, an average
 > current of 1A will pass through the series diode in a half-bridge
 > arrangement, and only 500mA in the case of a full-bridge.

Actually it is 1A in both the half-bridge and the full-bridge arrangements.

 >2A (max) is the
 > current passing through the primary of my SSTC, and this gives a power of
 > around 600W (240V rms line voltage in the UK), which sounds O.K.

My SSTC is half-bridge, so the peak voltage is 150V. Also I am using
half-wave rectification, so in the end the power is actually 150W maximum
(so far), but usually is half this as the primary draws about 1A, thus
giving a usual power of 75W.

 >So the
 > rating for this series diode is fine. The reason for a 20A MOSFET is due
 > the fact it is a complex device getting allot of abuse, and so it is over
 > rated. Well this is how I figure it, perhaps I am wrong?
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Gavin

Next time I will make sure I am more awake when I write emails!

Cheers,

Gavin