Re: Filament help!

Original poster: "Chris Arnold" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

Jim,

Since your tube has a 5 V filament you should be able to use a computer psu
pretty easily.  You'll just need to connect the tube between the red and
black wires.  Usually red is +5, black is ground, yellow is +12, and purple
is +5 V stand by.  Beyond that you'll have to do some digging to determine
what to do with yours.  I've used both a Dell and a standard ATX power
supply, and they had different colors.  If its a standard ATX connect the
green wire to ground.  Regulation is generally pretty good on the +5 line,
but if you want better connect the gray (or whatever is called power good)
wire to the +5 side of your filament.  It serves as a remote sense lead for
the 5 volt supply.  Beyond that, good luck.  I'm not sure if a computer PSU
will appreciate being that close to a working tesla coil.....

Regards,

Chris Arnold