Re: Audio modulated SSTCs

Original poster: jimmy hynes <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

 > Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >

 > The streamers are pretty small and typically are 5-6" at most using only
 > 120VAC to the SSTC when drawn off with a grounded object.
 > The reason the streamers are small is because the coil is operating in CW
 > (continous) mode.  Typically, SSTCs are run at low duty cycles
 > which maximize peak output.  For example, most will half-rectify the AC
 > input to a SSTC and then chop this waveform at the resonant
 > frequency of the secondary resonator.  This chopped half-rectified waveform
 > creates high RF rise-times which lead to big and long arcs.

Yep, pulses sure do help. That's why I made my DRSSTC ;-))

 > In audio modulation, you need a perfect DC input to the coil to yield high
 > quality and noise-free audio.  Because you are operating with DC, peak
 > voltage
 > levels are low, BUT AVERAGE POWER IS VERY VERY HIGH!!!!  The small arc is
 > merely in illusion to what the coil is actually putting out RF-wise.

It's not so much the primary voltage as it is the input power. I bet if you
feed an audio signal
in that looks like half wave rectified AC, the sparks would be the same
length, because the input
power would be identical.

When using audio modulation, the power isn't consistent like CW, but I
guess most of the power is
at a high enough frequency that it doesn't matter much. Have you ever tried
playing something
something with a loud bass? That frequency is probably too high also, but
it would be neat to try.

 > The same goes with VTTC coils.  The arcs from CW operated audio modulated
 > VTTCs are also very small, but power output is HUGE!
 >
 > Although the streamers look small, the audio volume is quite loud and two
 > audio modulated PlasmaSonic coils operating in a small room is very loud.
 > You can
 > run the SSTCs to the point where there is no visible arcs and still hear a
 > considerable amount of audio!

Cool! I told my friend about this, and showed him your video. He really
liked the idea, but we
could't tell how loud it is.

Thanks,
        Jimmy