Re: first coil

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>
 >
 >  > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >  >
 >  >      The key word in Antonio's note is CAREFUL!  Carelessness and
 >  > accompanying impatience will run any project.
 >  >
 >  > Ed
 >  >

 > Now you tell me!
 >
 > Three nights ago I spent over half an hour winding 1000t of 28AWG on a resin
 > impregnated paper tube former (using a lathe).
 >
 > When I finished and had taped up the end I went to remove the coil from the
 > end stock, fumbled it, and dropped the coil onto the lathe bed.
 >
 > Due to one seconds carelessness this coil is now useless as 4 turns in the
 > middle of the coil are dented to the point of being shorted together.
 >
 > The swearing I did would have made a sailor blush.
 >
 > Tom L.

	Don't pitch it; just cut the wire in the damaged region, remove the
turns you don't like, rejoin the ends (avoiding any sharp points) and
you should be back in business.  I've done this where a part of the coil
got burned due to careless (usually arcing inside the form) and found
the coil was repaired and usable.  In the case of the burned form I find
that clearing away all of the blackened material and then varnishing or
shellacking (sp??) the cleaned up form seemed to work just fine.  Of
course, all my coils run off NST's and I'm not sure I'd want to do that
with a bigger device.

Ed