Re: people built or buiding magnifiers

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 11:28 AM 10/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Original poster: "colin.heath4" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
> >
> >  >          im trying to find as much info on magnifiers as poss to
> link to on
> >  > my web page to assist with the lack of knowledge on magnifiers. i
> will not
> >  > put up any info previously given to me unless permission is given first.
> >  > so all you people with a page on your maggys please get back to me.
> >
> > I have made also a "directly coupled" magnifier:
> > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres6.html
> > It is just different. The version with a transformer is better.
> >
> > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
>
>         In thinking about the magnifier subject I just had the thought
> that my
>low-frequency ham station has the same configuration as a magnifier.
>High-power signal source (low impedance transmitter output) connected to
>the antenna by means of a series-resonant loading coil.  You can even
>draw some pretty good arcs off the antenna when the transmitter is
>putting out only 100 watts.
>
>Ed

Good observation...
Is the loading coil series resonant, or is it grounded.  A co-worker about
15 years ago had a lowfer station in Simi Valley, and his loading coil had
the bottom grounded, and he fed it a couple taps up.  Sort of a combination
autotransformer/loading coil, because of the leakage L in the
coil.  "Shorty 40" dipoles work sort of the same way...

Interestingly, from a legal standpoint (!) your LF station is an
intentional radiator and the TC, magnifier or not, is an unintentional
radiator, so they get treated differently under Part 15. You couldn't for
example, use a spark gap in your lowfer Tx (that verboten damped wave
emission), but it's perfectly ok in a TC. As an interesting practical
matter, you could probably, legally, radiate more RF at 130 kHz with your
magnifier running at a few kW than with your lowfer Tx running at the max 100W.

And what about a SSTC/Magnifier or a VTTC magnifier... getting pretty close
to a transmitter/antenna.  Hmmm... when does a base loaded antenna with a
capacity hat become a magnifier, or vice versa..

Of such hair splitting do lawyers earn their living...