Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>

Heck, liquid nitrogen isn't *that* expensive, is it? But I'd want to be
careful that my components have similar thermal expansions. Use something
with a large theremal expansion coefficient as your winding on something that
doesn't, and you'll get broken/stretched wire as the wire shortens and tenses
up.

Other than that, you'll have to construct a vessel around the coil to contain
the LN2.

Reminds of an interesting reference from Ben Bova's Moonwar. They refer to the
mass driver as using "cryogenic aluminum" magnets rather than
supercondcucting magnets. When was the book written; The first high-temp
superconductor was created in the early 80's, right?