RE: MMC advice

Hi Chris,

At 08:42 PM 10/1/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks everyone for the replies re MMC.  It appears to be an area which
>continues to provoke differences in opinion.  So, to stoke the fire
>again.  If you are looking at a 2 series MOT with voltage doubler that
>is producing 13000 V peak (pulsed DC) can I use the capacitor DC rating
>or is there a hidden complication somewhere?

Using the DC voltage rating is fine.  You may need to worry about the RMS
current since that is what blows MMC caps up.

>Also, as I will be building a new MMC utilising my WIMA 68 nF, 1600 VDC,
>650 VAC with 9 per string and 4 strings for 30 nF (1.9 x resonance) is
>there a problem with producing a circuit board to mount them as they
>only have short leads (~5mm)?

Don't use 10 mil traces and 1/2 ounce copper :o)))  Big thick traces and
thick copper will do great!!

>The above MMC should also be suitable for the above MOT power supply re
>voltage, but, what level of capacitance would I be looking at?  Of
>course I could make 2 MMC's such as when I decide to go to a MOT supply
>(probably if my NST gives up) I can run the 2 in parallel.

You can easily run MMCs in parallel.

You should get the DOS program at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/programs/Mmccalc2.zip

Or maybe the new JAVATC does this now, and find the RMS current the caps
will see.  I am just worried that four strings of WIMAs may not be enough
for two MOTs.  But you are voltage doubling...  Just not sure...  Better
check the RMS current now rather than have them fail.

Cheers,

         Terry