Re: nobody knows whos maggie at fla teslathon?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "colin.heath4" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
 >
 > hi antonio,
 >                  thanks for the reply i now understand what the 6th order
 > system is now. i asked as im building a magnifier at present with a tight
 > coupled L1 and L2 and using a very small C2. i was told by richie burnett
 > about the trapped energy in C2.

C2 includes the self-capacitance of L2, its capacitance to L1, the
capacitance of the connection to the base of L3, and the capacitance
of L3, as seen from below (something similar to the Medhurst
capacitance of L3). Something that easily goes to several tens of pF,
without the addition of more capacitance.
The voltage over it is not so high, and so the trapped energy is
small.

The situation is different if the system is designed for very fast
energy transfer. C2 increses due to the proximity between L2 and L1,
and can't be ignored anymore. Its consideration in the design leads
to even higher C2, or to even higher coupling. Eventually, a lumped
capacitor has to be used. See my attempt (to be improved some day)
at a magnifier with relatively fast energy transfer:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345.html
At low power, everything worked as expected. At high power, my lumped
C2 become a source of heavy losses, and the machine worked better
without it, approximately tuned to a mode with slower energy transfer
but small C2.
Terry tried to make one too, with even faster energy transfer. His
C2 was much better, but he had problems with L1-L2 insulation.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz