RE: Variac Help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I was about to reply with "No, a dimmer just won't work with an NST".
This question has been asked often on this List and that's the usual
response.  But since I happened to have a dimmer and had never
personally tried it, I thought I would.

I was surprised to find that it did work - mostly.  It did occasionally
stop, and I had to turn the dimmer down to zero and then it would behave
nicely again.  I did notice that when the dimmer was full-on, that
performance would improve somewhat by shorting the leads, so 100% is
more like 90%.  And of course, there's no way to achieve the extra 20V
boost that a real Variac can provide, with a dimmer.

But, if the intended application draws anywhere near the 30A that the
original poster's Variac is rated, the $8 dimmer will fry before you can
say "what was that?"

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Philip Brinkman" <peeceebee-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Well, are you putting that variac between the wall outlet and a neon
sign
transformer? If so, you don't need it. Go to walmart and get an $ 8.00
lamp
dimmer with attaced cord, mine works fine on a 15000 volt 30 ma
transformer, it even has a RF filter in it.

purchased
it