Re: Overhead Transperency Cap

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 07:48 AM 11/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "margaret louise" <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
>Hi all
>
>I am considering building an A4 sized plate stack cap using overhead
>transperency shhets as a dielectric.
>Has anyone had any luck/ exeperience with these...or even what theyre made of.

Check the archives.. a couple people have looked into this.  The box they
came in should tell you what kind of plastic they are (acrylic? acetate?
polyethylene? polyester?)

>I also heard somewhere that you can test possible dielectrics for RF
>losses by puting them in the microwave and seeing if they get hot? i deas
>anyone?

Depends.. the microwave is at 2450 MHz, substantially higher than the
100-200 kHz of a tesla coil.  There are lots of things that are lossy at
2GHz that are just fine at 100 kHz.
Likewise, there are things (conductive things, in general) that reflect
2GHz power (so don't get hot), but absorb 100 kHz.

Better off finding out what kind of plastic the sheets are and using a
handbook (or asking the list) whether it's a lossy plastic for TC frequencies.