Re: BEGINNER PLANS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT PLEASE HELP

Ravi,

Most people build a TABOR spark gap.  I would probably recommend a simplier
to build gap where you epoxy several copper pipe segments (1/2 pipe would be
just fine) onto a strip of dialectric (plastic or wood) where the gap is
between the pipe sides (not the ends).  Ten segments or so with a 25 mil gap
between each segment would probably do just fine.  You can either tap into
the segment string to get the best gap or wire to the end of the string and
short out individual gaps with a solid brass rod or another copper pipe to
shorten the gap.  If you have a properly set safety gap in parallel with
this main gap, you won't have to worry about setting the main gap too wide
and overvoltage the NST.  A fan blowing over or down onto the gap will help
cooling of the segments and improve quenching.

Gerry R