Re: Help A new coiler.................

 > Original poster: "margaret louise" <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
 >
 > i have aquired a 12/30 NST to use
 > i am plannig to go for a static gap, either series of copper tubes RQ
style
 > or a bunch of adjustabe single gaps (ie bolts )
 >
 > 1.  CAPACITOR- should i used a standard resonant cap aof about 7.9nf (on
 > 50hz)?
 > i have also seen a lot on LTR caps and it seems that they generally make
 > the NST last a lot longer and have better performance. Any opinions?

I would recommend a LTR cap for this transformer of 9.7nf.  This was
computed based on actual measurements of Voc and Isc of the secondary with
120Vac input on the primary and measurements of the primary and secondary
resistances of a 12/30 transformer (on loan from Terry Fritz).  Voc was
12.5KV and Isc was 29ma.  Cres was computed to be 6.2nf for this
transformer.  Yours may be slightly different.

Cltr = Cres * pi/2

 > 2> Primary
 > planning to use 1/4 inch copper tubing. is there any real difference or
 > benifits of using a inverse conical primary over a pankake, because the
 > pancake is going to be a lot easier to make>?

inverse conical primarys are good for low power coils (because of higher
coupling) and pancake for larger powered coils (because too much coupling
can be a problem).

 > Safety gap> what distance should i set my safety gap to for a 12 kv nst?

You should use a three terminal safety gap (center terminal grounded to NST
case) and set the gap to just not fire with an unloaded NST (Cp and main
sparkgap disconnected). You should also have the "Terry filter" across the
NST bushings in the final configuration.  See Terry Fritz's website for
details.

 > finaly does anyone know of any difinitive tesla coil design programs for
 > windows i have WIntesla5 but i cant seem to figure out theoutput feilds>
 > where does it tell you the primary frequency and what are the LpCp and
LsCs
 > feilds

Go to the pupman-dot-com site and use the JAVATC TC designer.  Its great!

Gerry R
Ft Collins,CO