Re: pulsed lightning

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Harvey, all,

On 17 Nov 2003, at 7:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >

 > --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 >  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts"
 >  > <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
 >  >
 >  > On 16 Nov 2003, at 11:37, Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  >  > Original poster: robert sauer
 >  > <thcduke-at-optonline-dot-net>
 >  >  >
 >  >  > is there a way to store the energy from a tc
 >  > without letting it
 >  >  > disapate into the atmosphere. and pulse it in one
 >  > gaint bult of
 >  >  > lightning.
 >  >
 >  > Yes. A _large_ coil and giant topload with a large
 >  > ROC are required
 >  > together with either a very substantial
 >  > disruptive-type primary
 >  > energy or a CW feed to ring the system up with a
 >  > modest power source.
 >  >
 >  > Malcolm
 > Can you describe the possibility of a CW feed? Are you
 > saying that if we had a "continuous wave" or a
 > sinusoidal AC form that was resonant to the secondary
 > by the length of wire and internal capacitance, or the
 > usual TC parameters, that it would act the same as a
 > tesla coil? How would one procure such an input
 > signal, would it be an amplified signal from a signal
 > generator? or are you speaking of very large
 > secondaries where it might be possible to employ high
 > frequency alternators?

I thought the original questioner was asking how a TC might be made
to accumulate a store of energy and it appears I misread what was
being asked. My apologies. What in fact was being asked was how one
might store the output of a TC. The obvious answer as others have
already said is to forget the TC altogether and build a Marx bank.

Malcolm