Re: BEGINNER PLANS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT PLEASE HELP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: BEGINNER PLANS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT PLEASE HELP

 > Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>
 >
 > Hi Ravi,
 >
 > Your're the first person, out of many who have asked about science
 > projects, to actually mention the word 'hypotheses'!!
 >
 > Science is all about constructing testable hypotheses and devising
 > cunning experiments to tease out from nature whether they are true
 > or not.   Sadly, most 'science' projects fall into the category of
 > 'Look at this thing that I've built' - which is great fun, but not
 > science!

--- Paul (and others), should be aware that in modern instructional
settings, there has been an appropriate recognition that projects can embody
engineering as well as science. In the former, one doesn't use the classic
"scientific method" but uses the "engineering process".

Consider, for instance, the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair
or the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF), which are high
quality competitions.

 > Hmm, I'm not sure what age 8th grade corresponds to, but it sounds
 > like you could avoid a lot of grief if you can find some hypothesis
 > that can be tested at 'low' voltage, ie not high enough to put you
 > or anybody else at risk.  That'll keep everybody off your back.

8th grade = 13 yrs old
But low voltage might not be as much fun, and might not impress the judges
as much (depending on the setting, and if the project is to be judged).
Sadly, the "rigor" of evaluation in many competitions is lacking.