Re: An SSTC simulation

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

I'll ask Terry to put up http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tcl-basicD.pdf, a
revision of my simulation schematic.

1.  I had an incorrect U4/E3 circuit so I've fixed that.  Also, as I
mentioned before, the secondary-winding-sense phase selection is not
needed in this scheme so that's out.

2.  I found that sensing secondary current by the voltage across a series
capacitor is not the way to go here--though it worked best in my
real-world sstc.  If there are small phase shifts in a real manifestation
of this scheme, perhaps some compensating phase shift there would again
be needed--but not, apparently, a full 90 degrees.

3.  Just for entertainment I've added a simulation of the spark's load:
switching a 20K load across the secondary after 50 us.

4.  I've incorporated more realistic ESRs here for the power transistors
and the storage capacitors: 100 m-ohms each.  That's critical: reducing
them to 50 m-ohms brings the output voltage to almost 200 KV.

With this tweaking, the H.V. rises to its 150 KV maximum, i.e. when the
"spark" commences, in 4 1/2 cycles.

This is all much more fun that toiling over the hot soldering iron.  But
unhappily, it does lack the thunder & lightning.

Ken Herrick