Re: GE caps - the long answer ;-))

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Your post answered itself.  The fact you said you bought these surplus sends
all kinds of warning flags that you are getting inferior capacitors.
Vendors typically release flawed products to the surplus market in a chance
to make up some of the losses.  Usually, tax right-offs cover these losses,
but in a lot of
instances, more revenue can be made by selling directly to surplus vendors.
I made a similar surplus purchase on those "blue" Ohmmite PowerMOX high
voltage resistors about
a year ago for about $0.50 each for 10MEG resistors.  I was surprised to see
they were failing left and right when I was using them with some MMCs i
built.  I called the vendor
with the lot number (printed on the resistors), and they indeed did scrap
these resistors due to an internal manufacturing flaw.

Dan