Re: An SSTC simulation

Original poster: Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 11/7/03 7:23:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Subj:Re: An SSTC simulation
>Date:11/7/03 7:23:20 AM Pacific Standard Time
>From:<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>To:<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Sent from the Internet
>

>Original poster: "Dan Strother" <dstroth-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>If I understand your circuit correctly, this looks similar to Jimmy Hynes'
>DRSSTC (http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/chunkyboy86/ ), in that it uses a set
>of IGBTs/MOSFETs to dump energy into a loosely coupled, tuned primary coil.
>Thus slowly transferring a large amount of energy into the secondary coil
>(and, hopefully, matching a conventional SGTC's performance). Would I be
>correct in this analysis?
>

>Dan Strother
>

> >Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>
>*snip*
>
> >So..-dot-comments, anyone?
> >
> >Ken Herrick

Fundamentally, yes: series-resonant primary, parallel-resonant
secondary.  But my scheme a) uses resonant storage-capacitor charging while
Jimmy's does not and b) incorporates "dynamic" control of the
tuning.  Also, I don't believe Jimmy's storage capacitors are necessarily
fully discharged every mains cycle.  So perhaps they'd last a whole lot longer!

In regard to my amplifying circuit, I'd like to point out something I just
realized.  There's no need to have the U1 EX-OR in the circuit: regardless
of the phasing between primary and secondary, feedback will be positive
during one of the two mains half-cycles; doesn't matter which one.

Just slap any old secondary onto it and it will take off!

Ken