Re: new idea for a spark gap

Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: sean <sean-at-nc.rr-dot-com>
>I know how to produce hydrogen under pressure,  The thing is, it seems
>dangerous to me since I know from experience it's explosive.

         Hydrogen is not explosive.
         Hydrogen and an oxidizer IS explosive.
         'gas quenched' gaps keep the gap 'flooded' with the
         gas.  Usually be continually flowing the gas in to overrun
         any leaks.
         (Such gaps were common in early wireless work.  If i recall,
         alcohol was popular...  Antique Wireless books will be useful.)

>If there was oxygen in there as well as hydrogen, it would explode.
         cf as above.

         Hydrogen is a good thing to be thoughtful about.

         best
         dwp

.