Re: Tuning Troubles - Brass Balls

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

We take the balls to a local chrome plating company and he hard chromium
plates them .0005 inch thick.  This is the same hard chromium plating we use
on the 10 cm spheres on our larger impulse generators operating at 20 Joules
at 100 kV per stage and they never burn through.

Bare brass itself is not a good choice as they will erode, ie, CDM
(capacitive discharge machining) process occurs and blows pieces of the
brass away leaving a less than perfect sphere after a few weeks.

Most platers will do these balls in large quantities for around $5 per ball
or less.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.