Re: MOT-powered coil questions

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

As for the secondary coil:
I use between 1400 and 1700 turns. The list archive will show that about
1600 is an all-round best sec coil winding number.

The sec coil I now run is wound with 24awg 1750 turns on a 4" PVC thin wall
pipe, 36" tall. It has almost a full can of polyester resin on it. The can
you buy at the home depot.

I only use 2, 12/60 nst's (1440 watts). I get 5.5feet. You'll want to wind
a coil with 22 or 20 awg because your going to be running with a lot more
power and the thicker wire will survive the current better. As for the coil
diameter you can use anything thicker that 4" and I would make the length
as tall as it needs to be to hold all the windings, whatever that may be.
Between a 4 and 10 inch coil will do fine. I made a 10 inch coil and it
worked well but it was a pain to use and move around. Also I wound it on a
sauna tube and the tube shrunk and was the death of the coil.

The thing is that a bigger coil will handle the current easier but that
doesn't mean a smaller coil can't do just as well if made well. Look at this:
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/adam/index.htm
a 4" coil ripp'n it up.

http://www.tb3-dot-com/tesla/tesla.html

this site is a great example of different coil sizes.

Good Luck
Read you later
Josh