Re: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/21/03 10:54:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Malcolm -
>
>I believe you are referring to the Voltage vs Spark Length graph shown in my
>Tesla Coil Construction Guide. To my knowledge this is the only graph of
>it's type ever published for Tesla coils.

John C,

Your graph ignores the large effect of the break-rate upon the voltage
vs. spark length issue.

>I agree the single sparks from a Marx generator are not the same as multiple
>sparks from the Tesla coil. However, I do not agree that the voltage for a
>one foot spark can be the same as the voltage for a 5 foot spark. Tests from
>high voltage research labs indicate spark length definitely increases with
>voltage.

Most tests at high voltage research labs use single shot, or slow repetition
type measurements.  Such sparks never get the chance to grow as Tesla
coil sparks do.  The fact that sparks grow longer as the break-rate
increases (within certain limits) for a given bang size, is well-known.
Tests from typical high voltage research labs cannot be used to judge
the growth characteristics of Tesla coil sparks.  Very little research has
been done on fast repeating RF sparks, which is why TC spark growth has
not been well quantified yet.

>As I mentioned in my 1998 post my graph is based only on test information
>available and estimates of the voltage by coilers at the time the graphs
>were made. As there are no theoretical equations available for this type of
>graph I mentioned that the graph is speculative and hopefully more accurate
>graphs would be made in the future when more accurate test info becomes
>available. It appears we are all waiting for this new graph to appear. Until
>that graph shows up the one in the TCC Guide will have to do.

I believe more accurate information has been available for some time.

>It would help if you would make a Voltage vs Spark Length graph with your
>up-to-date info so coilers would have at least two graphs to compare.

Such a chart would need to take the break-rate into account, along
with other factors such as the toroid size.

I fully support Malcolm's comments.

John F.