Re: Suggestion on Power Supply?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >Their power both is equal to 4000 watts, one trades
> >streamer length for streamer quantity, and the other
> >vice versa... which one do you think John's formula is
> >based on?
>
>I think John's formula is based on 120 BPS but it seems to work well for
>most disruptive coils.
>
>Cheers,

Jeremy, Terry,

I designed the formula for the "best fit" for both large coils (of
any bps), and for small 120 bps coils.  It seems the small coils do
much better at 120 bps than at higher bps.  For large coils, it may
not be as important whether the bps is high or low, but I'm not sure.
Smaller coils have more trouble meeting the formula's predicted
spark length.  Perhaps this is due to the proportionally greater
losses in a small coil.

As far as a high bps producing many small streamers, I haven't
really seen that effect, unless the toroid is too small.  Sometimes
when the bps is raised, the overall power is raised too, and this
may promote extra streamers.

Generally, the streamers are more likely to coalesce into a single
streamer at a high bps.  Often a rather large toroid is required when
using a low bps, to reduce the number of streamers, and to increase
the spark length.  The smoothness of the toroid affects things too.

John