RE: Suggestion on Power Supply?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <seantaylor-at-attbi-dot-com>

 > Actually, the LTR sized capacitor for a 15kV/120mA is probably about 0.05uF

I get about 0.032 uF for LTR for a 15kV/120 mA transformer.

With 10 maxwell caps, I would put at least 2 in series and run 2 strings in
parallel for the aforementioned NST.  If you want to go with a 5 kVA pole pig,
you could use 5 of the strings of 2 caps in series, and you would get about
0.075 uF, which is pretty close to resonant if you have the pig inductively
ballasted at 5 kVA.
A better option (though not my preferred option) would be to go with a 3 x 3
arrangement of the caps (so you have 0.03 uF at 90 kV) and run higher break
rates.  The only problem is beware of the specs on the caps.  More of them in
series does stress them less on voltage, but higher break rates will cause
more
dielectric heating.  I would rather go with a cap more suited to TC abuse,
such
as PP dielectric MMC caps.  Plus I have a feeling you got those caps used from
All Electronics or Tesla Systems research in Orinda, CA.  If that is the case,
then from what I've heard, the caps have already been used quite a bit, no
telling exactly when they'll fail.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong,
cause I have a couple of these caps as well!! :-)

Sean Taylor

P.S.  Anyone on the list at/near UIUC??