Re: AC Mains panel.... What on earth do I have here???

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Paul

What distribution system you are describing is a called in the trade a
"high-leg delta" configuration.  Imagine 3 standard 240V (120x120)
transformers wired in a delta configuration.  Tie any one of the
transformer CT's to building neutral (you now have 120 + 120
across that one transformer to neutral).  If you measure the voltage
to the opposing unused hot feeder it will be to the ratio of approximately
115+115+190V.

The high leg feeder should have some kind of distinguishing phasing
tape, as a warning that there is no reference to neutral (except through
two transformer windings).  I've personally seen several machine shops
in our locale wired this way.  It allows total utilization of kVA capacity
on pole, versus wiring 120-208 wye (and tossing effectively 50% of
your capacity away since you would only be using half of the transformers
LV windings).  FWIW.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Paul Kidwell by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>