Re: Input power measurement

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/13/03 10:25:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi all
>I am using a 9kv at 120ma NST. In operation I use an iron vane ammeter
>(known to be within 5% accuracy) to monitor current. My mains voltage is
>nominally 117V. Interestingly the current into the NST is about 17A when
>running in resonant mode. It is my understanding that an iron vane meter
>reads true input current regardless of waveform. Therefore my input power to
>the NST is nearly 2000 watts.
>
>I would appreciate comments from anyone who can help explain the discrepancy
>between the 1080va rating of the "current limited NST and the measured input
>in resonant mode operation.
>Skip

Skip,

I thought this is what we would expect in resonant mode.  Not sure exactly
what the current should be but I thought selecting a resonant size primary
cap would allow us to pull more than the rated current from the secondary.

Ed Sonderman